Re: [teacherartexchange] meaning as overemphasized...technique held in contempt

---------

From: Geoffrey McClain (skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 04:02:19 PDT

Hi Jerry,
Wow! I feel like you and I went to the same college (but mine was in NJ). And I was there from 1969 to 1973, too.
I had almost no art in highschool (parochial) but my mother was an artist and I seemed to have been born knowing how to draw. So when I went to college to study art education I could draw very well but didn't know a thing about painting. My painting professor wore sweaters with patches on the elbos and smoked a pipe. He really LOOKED like a professor. The first day of class we all went and stood before an easel. He said we were to do 6 paintings by the end of the semester and then he left the room. So... first I painted a chianti bottle/fruit still life because that seemed like a good realistic subject. Then I tried "hard edge" and neatly drew a large half of an orange and carefully painted in the drawing. Then I tried a surrealistic painting with eggs floating around in the night sky.
About halfway through the semester the professor talked to me for the first time. He looked at my paintings so far and told me "I didn't have a style". I left that class in tears and just cut the rest of the classes. I still got a C in painting.
My drawing professor was excellent and luckily I had him for printmaking and advanced drawing and I did become an art teacher and have been doing it for 25 years. But I still don't feel confident about painting.
Sky in NJ