Re: [teacherartexchange] meaning as overemphasized...technique held in contempt

---------

From: Heather Hayes (heatherglenn77_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 10:18:44 PDT

>In addition, anyone enrolled in the art education department was regarded
>as not being a serious >artist, and generally treated like a second class
>citizen. I found this particularly ironic, because >those professors with
>the most disdain for art teachers were themselves art teachers!

I experienced the exact same prejudice when I was in college, and that was
only a couple of years ago! Literally, I was the *only* art ed major. We
started off with several, but because of the prejudice and lack of support
(and the awful general education classes that were required...I *HATE* ed
classes, but that's a whole other soapbox), I was the only one who stuck it
out. Not once did I ever recieve any encouragement towards my chosen field.
  I was flat out told that I wasn't really an art major, and that real
artists wouldn't go into art ed unless it was on the university level. When
it came time to hang the senior art show required for graduation, I honestly
heard this comment: "You're art ed. Nobody really expects you to have
show-quality work anyway." I can't even describe how angry that made me.

The only encouragement I recieved was from my cooperating teacher when I
student taught. She was amazing. I heard through her that one of my
professors thought I'd make an excellent art teacher, and that kids would be
lucky to have me...but it would have meant more if he'd said it to me
himself.

I was determined to be an art teacher no matter what...but it certainly
would have made my life easier if anyone in my art dept had encouraged me at
all. So...those of you who will have student teachers this year, please
encourage them. From what I've been reading, it sounds like it's a common
thing for art ed majors to not have encouragement on their way to you.

Heather