Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] my apologies...

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 03:52:42 PDT

In a message dated 6/23/05 5:16:22 AM, lseiler@ez-net.com writes:

> Kathy's recent sharing of the article on the importance of
> supplanting meaning to motivate, and musing about the balance that it may
> require.

It is a great and important discussion for all of us who are in the
fascinating profession of helping others to make and appreciate visual art. I don't
think anyone would recommend talking only about meaning and personal expression,
but I have observed that my young students can LEARN better (about technique,
methods, materials) when that instruction is wrapped around something which
interests them or connects to a passion. And the passions and interests of our
students are often quite different from ours, just as ours are different one
from another.

There was a great discussion of "need to know" by MIT kinetic artist Arthur
Ganson in a keynote speech at NAEA New Orleans a number of years ago. I do
not know if it is available in print but he has a lot to offer in describing
the path his learning took when he wanted to make something in particular. I
have seen this play out with my young students and some of my colleagues see
it in their older students. When I work with non art major undergraduates I
see it also...One of the best discussions of the issue takes place in that
slender but powerful paperback NO MORE SECONDHAND ART by Peter London (Shambalah,
1989 available on Amazon)

We are so fortunate to have Internet resources (such as the archives of
STUDIES IN ART EDUCATION) and the great and thoughtful discussions that are
engendered here. Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses Larry. Don't
apologize for what you feel and believe.
regards,
kathy douglas