Re:[teacherartexchange] meaning as overemphasized...technique held in contempt

---------

From: LarrySeiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 01:20:03 PDT

>Perhaps this specific class isn't teaching
>the things you want to learn, but perhaps you can use
>this opportunity to try a different direction
>yourself. Its good to break out of our own notions of
>personal style once in a while.

yep...I understand such.

I didn't go actually expecting the instructor to necessarily be able to take
me further along my own directions, and that at best thought it would be
most fortunate if I may be tolerated or encouraged. I'm not complaining.
It went well...and the mood was cordial, light hearted.

I enjoyed and appreciate the freedom...and I enjoy the idea of being able to
develop my program independently aiming to set my sights even
higher...finding where I need to push myself. So, I'm not speaking really
about a disappointment in what working on the masters means for me. I was
thinking out loud more not as a painter seeking to paint better, but as an
instructor of art looking at and observing what current philosophy or
methods are being taught to students of art today at the college level, how
that might affect or challenge me as a teacher. From that standpoint, it
did not appear much has changed from when I attended college in the
70's...and I wonder then (as you have suggested) what notions have been
broken out of there in those 30 plus years?

I also agree that the notion of something new is good for an artist. I
experiment all the time with my students. Teaching K-12 is first and
foremost a gas...a joy for what comes of such explorations. When teaching
painter's workshops...and in my own book on painting, I emphasize seeing and
working abstractly. I do many color exercises, line studies, playing if
you will and such but as instrumental in seeing relationships. I call it
playing...but, a form of serious play.

I am in agreement as I said before...I think a balance is good. Break
out...come back, work hard. Experiment, let loose...come back analyze, what
did you learn? Have fun, laugh, play...

appreciate your having looked at my work too...that was nice, thanks...take
care...

Larry S.