Re: [teacherartexchange] first student teacher - advice??

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 18:58:40 PDT

Sheree's pages offer a great start to mentoring.
  I think of myself as a pretty good teacher, but last year I had a
student teacher for the first time and I was a bit set back by the
experience. I had certain expectations that didn't come with the
student and her university supervisor didn't offer much help. What I
found was a real lack of communication between the 3 of us. I truly
believe that much much dialoguing needs to go on with student teachers.
I felt inadequate after my student teaching experience many years ago
and it doesn't seem that much has changed. In research for a class I am
currently in I found an article that I think offers some new
perspectives:
Triad journaling: A tool for creating professional learning communities
Teacher Education Quarterly,  Fall 2003  by Silva, Diane Yendol
<http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3960/is_200310/
ai_n9340877>.

I don't know? -- 12 weeks in a classroom situation where the mentor
teacher has established the classroom climate and carefully monitors
that the student teacher doesn't disrupt the situation doesn't seem to
me to be anything near the real life situation of coming into a
classroom of your own and making the establishment. My kids hated my
student teacher, but they were not going to do anything "bad' out of
respect for me --- that's not so real.
Having a student teacher gives you the opportunity to review your own
practices and development. "Practice" along with the student. Question
yourself as much as you question the student and truly have
conversations.

Patty
respond to: pknott@enter.net