[teacherartexchange] Advice for CT with first student teacher

---------

From: Pam (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 12:56:49 PDT

Lydia:

I am a university supervisor for student teachers and while our university
does not offer training on a regular basis (we will have a session next
school year), I do make it a point to have a sit down meeting with the CT
and student teacher. In this meeting we go over everything that the state
and university require of the student teacher. Your student teacher's
supervisor should probably do something like this with you. If not, ask for
it.

At the meeting I provide a rubric of my expectations that clearly delineates
mastery or lack of mastery in the areas I feel are most important for an art
student teacher to address. Using the rubrics helps student teachers to
pinpoint their own strengths and weaknesses while it provides a common
ground for us to use in evaluations/discussions.

You will likely find that the evaluation forms that are provided by
universities are little more than check lists that do not look at depth of
understanding.

In addition, I require the student teacher to submit a schedule for the
upcoming week that tells me exactly what the student teacher will be doing
for each class period (e.g., teaching, observing, preparation) and I require
a complete lesson plan for each class the student teaches. I go over those
lesson plans with a fine tooth comb, critique them, and return them to the
student teacher. When I visit the classroom, I expect to see the corrected
plans in action.

My suggestion to you is to write a list of everything you want the student
teacher to accomplish and demonstrate. Go over that point by point and make
sure the student teacher understands. Do not leave gray areas.

The biggest issues I face with student teachers are: punctuality, varying
their delivery so that it is not the same for every lesson, and classroom
management/discipline procedures.

I'd be happy to forward my rubric, lesson summary format, and scheduler if
those would help you. These were initially created when I was a CT in an
elementary art program and have been refined over the years as I switched to
being the university supervisor, but they should help direct you.

Pam

=============================
Pamela G. Stephens, PhD
Northern Arizona University
Art Education
P.O. Box 6020
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6020
928.523.2432
Pamela.Stephens@nau.edu
http://www.cal.nau.edu/art/fac_pages/faculty_s.htm

For art teaching resources and professional development
www.ArtResourcesforTeachers.com