Re: [teacherartexchange] meaning as overemphasized...technique held in contempt

---------

From: david gran (dsgran_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 10:14:28 PDT

Interesting thoughts you pose. My only thoughts in
response is that there is a place for both- as an art
teacher, and as an artist, i try and find a space for
technique and a space for experimentation /
introspective work / whatever you want to call it.
Both are important, it doesn't need to be an either/or
situation. I really enjoyed the paintings that you
posted. Perhaps this specific class isn't teaching
the things you want to learn, but perhaps you can use
this opportunity to try a different direction
yourself. Its good to break out of our own notions of
personal style once in a while.

--- LarrySeiler <lseiler@ez-net.com> wrote:

> Curious to thoughts...taking risk for some
> discussion here...
>
> First of all, I read the article Kathy shared on
> teaching Real Art
> Making...and enjoyed it. Much to chew upon...and
> one worth coming back to.
>
> I just finished some of my masters work, Studio Arts
> with emphasis in
> Painting, tenting it...sleeping on the ground near a
> roaring falls.
> Unfortunately it rained nine of twelve days
> straight!
>
> My painting as an artist is plein air
> landscapes...so, rain or not I was out
> there. One day, I wore chest waders with my rain
> jacket. Good thing oil
> and water do not mix. Kind of annoying with rain
> pitter pattering on the
> palette...but I've painted in worse, such as sleet
> during winter.
>
> At any rate...there were about 30 students...the
> majority were either art
> majors taking a summer course or nonart majors
> taking an elective intro to
> painting. Two or three of us were working on a
> masters.
>
> I can't complain about the freedom I have with a
> very long leash to design
> my program, my directions...but I also have near 30
> years of painting
> experience professionally and am able to push myself
> and in what ways I hope
> to grow. There were times I wondered if I wasn't
> simply tolerated because
> with my age (50 years now) and experience, and
> perhaps thought to be a lost
> cause- set no doubt in my ways; and yet at least
> everyone was quite nice.
> When I appeared at the school, brought work
> in...people were cordial.
> Though one time showing a student some CAO (Classic
> Artist Oils) I had
> brought with which come in 10 fluid ounce caulking
> tubes, and a caulking
> gun...seeing that caulking gun of paint loaded in my
> hands some students got
> excited and thought I was REALLY going to paint and
> be free! They even
> offered to find some larger canvas for me if I
> wanted to cut loose.
>
> That sorta tuned me in that without so much as
> saying, I was somewhat pitied
> for my painting and how it is interpreted to confine
> and restrain me
> creatively. Not a problem, as I suspected as much.
> Back in the 70's during
> my senior year I was written up in the show as the
> weakness of the works
> entered...was the black sheep. They were squirtin'
> paint in cow manure and
> throwing it at the canvas then, and not much has
> seemed to change.
> Difference now...there is much less hostility. I
> can handle pity and well
> wishes that I'd free up...so long as we yet all
> laugh and respect each
> other.
>
> I'm curious though as to other's thoughts. Seems
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

http://carrotrevolution.blogspot.com/

The day is coming when an ordinary carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

-Paul Cezanne