Re:[teacherartexchange] [teacherartexchange]..technique held in contempt

---------

Aartteachr_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 09:40:46 PDT

In a message dated 6/22/2005 11:47:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lseiler@ez-net.com writes:

> The presumption may well be that I am lost to making simply pretty
> pictures...but, standing before the moment, I am engaging the sublime, the
> hidden mysteries of that which has compelled and demanding something of me.
> Painting is a vehicle of exploration and discovery, and a means thereby to
> celebrate living. Is there not meaning to be valued in art as a mechanism
> to celebrate living? Is it not a service to the community of man to suggest
> something as worthwhile in painting or viewing a painting (or works of
> various art mediums) that takes them outside themselves.

 I say Amen to your thoughts. When I look at art I want to be transported
into it. I want to imagine I am there where the artist painted it. I want to
discover how the artist saw things that I had missed. Art has meaning and meaning
is communication. Literature communicates; music communuicates; drama
communicates. If the artist communicates only for him/herself it is a selfish form of
art. As an artist, I believe we are to give out...reach out. Throughout the
ages and cultures, art had meaning. We understand anceint cultures by their art.
AS artists, we are communicators.

MarshArt in Orlando