Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re:[teacherartexchange] [teacherartexchange]..technique held in contempt

Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 09:40:46 PDT

In a message dated 6/22/2005 11:47:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

> The presumption may well be that I am lost to making simply pretty
> pictures...but, standing before the moment, I am engaging the sublime, the
> hidden mysteries of that which has compelled and demanding something of me.
> Painting is a vehicle of exploration and discovery, and a means thereby to
> celebrate living. Is there not meaning to be valued in art as a mechanism
> to celebrate living? Is it not a service to the community of man to suggest
> something as worthwhile in painting or viewing a painting (or works of
> various art mediums) that takes them outside themselves.

 I say Amen to your thoughts. When I look at art I want to be transported
into it. I want to imagine I am there where the artist painted it. I want to
discover how the artist saw things that I had missed. Art has meaning and meaning
is communication. Literature communicates; music communuicates; drama
communicates. If the artist communicates only for him/herself it is a selfish form of
art. As an artist, I believe we are to give out...reach out. Throughout the
ages and cultures, art had meaning. We understand anceint cultures by their art.
AS artists, we are communicators.

MarshArt in Orlando

To unsubscribe go to