Re: [teacherartexchange] germs and sponges

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 06:14:53 PDT

I saw that one too, and the big thing I remember is the candy bowl, and thinking the woman was nuts to share unwrapped candy like that to begin with! While I believe a certain level of cleanliness is important, I worry that we are "cleaning" immune system into non-existance. With all the anti-bacterial products around our children never have a chance to get dirty, to build up their immune system. For your sponges (I do the same thing at the high school), I suggest you go to your dollar store and buy a package a month or every two weeks, and then not worry about it. As long as your students share chairs (think of the backs), tables, supplies, well - the germs are there anyways.
~Michal
  CNN has had some awful reporting lately on germs in the work place. And
  I'm sure my elementary classroom would break the testing machines!

  I supply small sponges to my kiddies, one or two for a table of 4. They use
  them to wipe up glue spots or paint spots from the tables, and to wipe up
  that dab of glue when it gets on their hands. But I'm starting to reconsider
  this practice in the light of the news. What's your opinion on this? What is a
  better solution?