[teacherartexchange] Valuing Art

---------

From: arttucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 14:34:12 PDT

Patty, et al
I'm having the supreme gift of taking a collaborative book-making class this week at Arrowmont. After I tead Patty's post yesterday re: valuing artwork, my instructor, Diane Fine began talking this afternoon about a collaborative project she did regarding gifts. Not to get into the discussion too much, but she reference a book entitled The Gift, by (first name?) Hyde, who postulates that our culture zeros in on the monetary value of art because we value those who acquire, not those who give away. Hyde further states that while it is realistic for artists to be paid, no one can place a true value on the act of creation (how much is the symphony worth when you attend it? $20? Or is it invaluable).

So, Patty, I hope this helps. Wish you all were here!
Maggie in Tennessee