[teacherartexchange] Cheating on a midterm

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 16:23:09 PDT

Hi, all,

I'm teaching an art appreciation-type course for the community college
this summer. It's a whirlwind eight-week odyssey, meeting two evenings
a week. Most of the students are active-duty AF personnel (I'm teaching
on base). The course is for credit.

The midterm, which was handed in last Thursday, required visiting a
local museum--I gave them a list of four to choose from--and write an
aesthetic scanning paper on a work of their choice. Most did a good
job, considering their level of experience, and most got into the
experience (hidden agenda--make them realize that seeing art in person
is an enjoyable experience; plus, it's literally and figuratively the
coolest place in town when it's 108 outside). One student, however,
obviously did not go to the museum; I visited over the weekend to see
their chosen works in person, and her choice had been taken off
display. When I looked at the musuem's Web page, that work was featured
on the home page. I e-mailed her about it, and she admitted not going
("too many things got in the way.").

I feel certain she should fail the midterm, given that she did not do
the assignment correctly, and the obvious attempt to put one over on
me. I was thinking about giving the class some extra-credit
assignments anyway; maybe choose one, and only one, from a list of
several. Our time frame is such that I don't want to grade a bunch of
extra stuff on top of the regular assignments. Should I allow her to do
two? Or let her be grateful for the chance to do one? If I decide not
to give extra-credit assignments, should I allow her to do a makeup
assignment? For maybe half credit? Any other thoughts?

Maggie, who has a hot date with an Egyptian boy in L.A. on August 30;
don't worry, I'll be properly chaperoned by my sister and cousin.