[teacherartexchange] What is art worth?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 14:14:24 PDT

I have spent much of today "googling." I'm trying to develop a
seminar for our gifted students on how art is valued monetarily and
trying to invoke some thoughts. Why is a Picasso worth 104 million
dollars? Who is today's Picasso? If art is worth investing in ... how
do you decide?
I'm basing my discussion on this article
Contemporary art: who calls the shots? - rich countries monopolize art
market
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1310/is_2001_Oct/ai_79560860

Any thoughts on how you justify to kids that an art work is worth
millions and millions of dollars?
  It's the hardest thing I try to teach.

Patty
respond to: pknott@enter.net