[teacherartexchange] Field Sculpture Lesson Idea - from Makio Kawashima

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 10:48:11 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Makio Kawashima sent me this link to his elementary sculpture lesson
http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~eLearning/newsculpture.html

Students create a clay sculpture - then place it in an environmental
setting digitally. Students take pictures of the surrounding school
grounds/area looking for a place to show their sculpture - making it
appear more monumental.

You can do this in any photo editing software. An easy way to cut the
background around the sculpture would be to photograph it with a
contrasting solid color background. Then use the color wand to cut the
background away. Invert selection to copy and paste the sculpture into
the outdoor setting. You could revise this by having the sculpture
"installed" at front of local architecture. Students digitally add
shadows under scultpure to make it look like a part of the setting.

Makio did this with elementary students - but middle school and high
school could do it too.

Enjoy,

Judy Decker

--