Re: [teacherartexchange] Distance Learning

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 12:35:12 PDT

Hi Mike,

You have a wonderful opportunity to try some innovative things here. Do you
have two way communication as well? In other words, what do both sides see?
Can they see each other or only what is on the video camera? Can students of
one class ask questions of the other students?

I took a college level class that was offered this way. One week my class got
the "live" instructor who was communicating with the other class via video
teleconferencing. The next week we saw the instructor via video
teleconferencing from his other location. The instructor moved back and forth
between the two places. One thing I noticed is that the instructor seemed
pretty tied to the video conferencing station..not able to walk around, etc.

I would think this will definately require you to change your approach and it
may feel uncomfortable for you at first. However, I think you will adapt and
learn different methods of doing similar things.

I have used an Elmo, but have generally been disappointed in it. I guess it
depends upon the quality of the Elmo, the amount of lumens that it has to
project images/objects, etc and the size of the elmo/projection. Also a factor
is the size of the TV/screen that students are looking at.

Right now you are probably focusing on things you can't do the same way.
Eventually you will discover different ways to do the same thing...it will be
quite an adjustment but a fascinating experience.

I almost think doing it online with video tapes would be a whole lot easier.

Good luck.

Diane

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory