[teacherartexchange] ancient clay figures question

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 21:44:39 PDT

Hello all,

I remember seeing an exhibit once (several years ago) at the Art Institute of Chicago that had these clay sculptures that depicted people in the community/tribe engaged in activities (such as dancing, playing games, holding children,). Each sculpture had many small people gathered together and they were quite moving. They were from an ancient culture, I believe from Africa. I have tried doing many online searches to find pictures of these, but I'm not having luck. Does anyone know what I am talking about and can direct me to a website with these images? Or does anyone know at least what culture these are from? I think these would be really fun to show kids and have them make a clay sculpture of people in their community working and playing together.

Thanks in advance, Marcia in IL (soon to be WI).