[teacherartexchange] murals

---------

From: Leah Korican (lbkrobar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 12 2005 - 09:39:55 PDT

Hi,

    I am planning to help my students in 4th-8th grade (about 120
  students) paint a mural on a long fence (not sure exact length 40'-60',
  I think) next Fall. My current plan is to do a Rousseau type jungle
  scene. I would have them sketch ideas then blow them up on large
  plywood which I'll cut out and then attach to the fence. We'll paint
  the fence background in first (the school will prime it any color I
  want, I'm thinking light green) then add vines, trees, plants, etc then
  in relief, animals, plants, figures etc. etc.   These students are all
  in different classes (6 classes) so I can't really have them all make
  decisions together but I do want the imagery to be really theirs.

    Any great resources on murals in general? Feedback on my idea? Anyone
  done a project like this and have practical suggestions?

    Thanks very much,

    Leah