RE:[teacherartexchange] setting up a new art room

---------

From: Tammy Willis (tmwillis72_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 11 2005 - 05:27:46 PDT

Subject: setting up a new art room
Stacie,
I think a kiln is something you should purchase if they are willing to buy
it. It is such an important part of the curriculum. Like Woody said you
don't know hen they won't have money to buy the things you need. It is
better to have it and learn how to use it then not have it at all. I
recommend a front loading one. I believe there is one out there called the
dragon. I have heard about it but when my art room was built I got a top
website you could check out. I think it is skutt.com. When you get the kiln
you can play with the clay and see how it works. Also everyone on this list
is very generous I am sure when you get to that point they will be more than
happy to walk you through. I had only taken ceramics in grad school before I
taught ceramics. I have learned slowly. Any books you get could be helpful.
Cathy Topal wrote one called" Clay and Children". I think that is the title.
If not someone please correct me. Also I like under glazes. This year was my
first using them and for the older kids I think it is better than just
glaze.

Good Luck,
Tammy