Re: [teacherartexchange] GETTING ORGANIZED

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 19:56:59 PDT

I teach art K-3, and this is what I do for supplies. I have students
sitting at 5 tables, so I have my supplies like pencils, crayons, etc. in 5
containers--I put them in plastic containers that are donated by parents--I
always ask for lots of that kind of stuff in my intitial parent letter. I
have sets of pencils, scissors, crayons, thin markers, and medium sized
markers organized in this way. For passing out materials--I used to have
charts with student helpers, etc.--and finally decided that was too much
work for me. Now what I do is consider each table to be a team--they are
responsible for getting their supplies, and cleaning up their tables. I
will tell them what materials are needed for the project for the day (and
have them out on the counter)--then they need to decide who at their table
will be getting what supplies.(For example: "you will need pencils,
scissors, and crayons today. Talk to each other and decide who will get
which supplies.") For supplies like watercolors, etc., I have charts showing
what things they need--"every student needs one watercolor box, every
student needs one brush, each table needs three water containers."......
THEY have to be responsible--for doing it in a fair way. Yes, some tables
have more trouble than others cooperating in this way--but it is good for
them to learn, and it makes things easier for me. It really works well. Our
whole school's basic discipline policy is based on teaching kids to make
responsible decisions and learning to problem solve. (Restitution and
control theory)

Mary H.