Re: [teacherartexchange] GETTING ORGANIZED

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 14:30:02 PDT

> Also supplies how do you keep them? Ex pencils,
> glue, scissors? Do you have helpers who handout materials?

I have 2 3-section tubs on each table. Each tub contains 3 small bottles of
glue, 3 sharpies, 3 pencils, 3 scissors, 1 hand-held sharpener, 1 large
eraser. Crayons go in the remaining section. Each table is color coded - ex.
2 red tubs on one table, with red handled scissors and red pencils. I have a
"star" table, where I draw 2 names per week and these two students are my
helpers. They are the only ones allowed out of their seats, and they are the
only ones who get to help me that week. I use popsicle sticks with their
names to keep track.

>. Do you go by the
> classroom teachers discipline or set up your own. Does it say
> something about your teaching if they are talking and not
> working? Is it ok for them to talk in art? I want them to
> enjoy coming and release themselves.

I have my own discipline plan - if they cannot listen while I am talking or
are otherwise disruptive they must sit in the hall for 5 minutes. If they
still continue to misbehave they go back to their classroom. It seems that
missing art class is punishment enough! If I have one of "those" classes
(where the majority are high-maintenance) then I will hold a special treat
over them, meaning that they must follow all classroom rules as a group for
3 class periods before we will paint or do clay. I do not like to impose my
discipline problems on the classroom teacher. I do allow the students to
visit while they are working as long as they listen when I need them to. I
like a classroom that is relaxed - it is amazing to hear a group discuss
whether using cool colors would be better than warm, etc.

> Now the last thing I swear (well for now anyway) Lesson
> planning, do you do units or a new lesson everyweek?

My lessons lead into one another - even if they don't seem related visually
the concepts will blend. I may be focusing on color with one group, and we
will start with a Matisse inspired painting with color mixing using only
primary colors, followed by a fall collage using oil pastels to teach
complementary colors. I don't focus on units, mainly because each class is
unique - some classes are more advanced and will understand quicker, others
take longer or may need to approach the same concepts from a different way.
My older students spend longer on projects, young students usually finish in
2-3 class periods.