[teacherartexchange] setting up a new art room

---------

From: leah rachlis (leah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 07:49:04 PDT

wow Stacie - You are bringing back all my craziest memories of setting up my
art room - Be assured - I changed everything 2 or 3 times in the first year!

You'll find your way - BIG RECOMMENDATION - find an existing art room and go
see it - up close and personal, some schools have summer session still going
on - one of our local middle schools, is still in session and the art room
is up and operational. (or call the sistrict and ask for the name of a
local art teacher)

This list is great - but you need to see a few things for your self -and
then you'll modify it to work for you. We art teachers are amazingly
resourceful. I too work for a charter school, now teaching k-8 Art and some
computer gfraphic stuff, I would not spend money on a kiln this year, if you
have no ceramics experience - I have done without, but have been firing at a
local ceramic shop (where I started taking classes, having no ceramics
experience myself).

Before you spend money on a drying rack - which could be costly - my husband
made a terrific and CHEAP drying rack for my itty bitty classroom - with
three floor to ceiling 2 x 4's mounted on the wall - he had drilled 1" holes
in each about 6 inches a part - we put PVC 1" pipes in each hole, (three
across) and laid sheets of heavy cardboard, (or scrap 1/8" plastic that he
had) as shelves - the whole thing cost about 12.00 (yes twelve) oh course,
he is a handy kind of guy - and has been a constant life saver for me in
some of my crazier projects.

I am entering my 4th year of teaching, and once again will spend part of my
summer re-inventing my art room, to accommodate things I have learned over
the course of the year (and to find room for a potters wheel I just scored!)

While this list is priceless - you need to do some up-close and personal
investigating - real life art teachers are generally as helpful and awesome
as the ones on line!

I too save alot on my budget by sending lists home to the kids - I print our
strips with things like sponges and wipes, coffee filters and beans (I love
beans!) I ask parent to save butter tubs, and ice-cream lids (great
pallets) - I usually have a few different grades of supplies as well - I
give the newer pastels to the older kids, for instance - and have a set of
brushes I only use with the youngest kids.

Teaching a wide range is tougher because your changing hats every 50
minutes - Teaching 8th graders is a whole different world than Kindergarten
art! Keep your running shoes handy!

Leah