[teacherartexchange] Idea for next year...

---------

From: knitzber (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 05:30:52 PDT

Good morning all.

Today is the last day in my normal year's teaching contract
so things will be quite hectic as I get into my end of year
routine today. I thought I would take a moment first and
share an idea that we are going to try and implement in my
art dept. next year. There are 3 art teachers in the
department and we thought that it would be an interesting
idea for all of us to work on art work based on a theme /
quote with each of our respective classes, all workng the
idea in different media simultaneously. We are planning to
devote 3 class periods to this idea (a 4th day will be
allowed for the ceramics teacher due to time needed for
firing), and then have the students all get together with
their
respective projects and share their experiences /
outcomes. We are hoping for an extraordinarily diverse
range of interpretations to be explored as a result of this
format and that students will truly get to appreciate the
power of creativity and personal voice through this process,
more than perhaps we get to see in separate classes
working on specific projects that often time have
predicatable outcomes. Our school year is broken into 4
quarters (approximately 9 weeks each), with each art class
meeting for one quarter for 85 minute classes (we are on a
4 class block schedule). We hope to be able to facilitate
this towards the end of each grading period at a point when
students have built up enough understanding / mastery of
the materials / techniques that they will have been learning
in order to be as successful as possible.

As the results unfold I will share what transpired with this
group. I will also post images of the artwork on my school
web site. There are already some significant pieces from
new student work this year posted for you to take a look at
if
you are interested. The address is:

http://www.anoka.k12.mn.us/ahsnitzberg

When you get to my home page you will find the menu bar
to the left. Simply click on 2004-05 Projects / Student
Work.

Have a great summer everyone!

Kevan