Re: [teacherartexchange] Eeek...more questions

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 21:18:10 PDT

Stacie,

I think we are all fascinated and a bit envious of all your
decisions--at least they're YOURS! If I were you, knowing what school
budgets are like, I would ask for a kiln NOW. You might not get one
later. You can make a perfectly logical argument for having the correct
venting and wiring installed while your room is being built. I can't
remember the one I ordered at the HS, but it was a pretty big sucker,
with a Kiln Sitter (a must, in my opinion, though I don't recommend
turning it on and leaving it overnight). Order extra shelves, shelf
supports of different heights, stilts of various sizes, and peephole
plugs at the same time. The clay itself is quite cheap. Order it later
when you know better what you're doing. I'm sure we'll have plenty of
advice for you then, too.

As for brushes, I have always found that a 1" bristle brush and then a
skinny one are pretty much all that the students need. Crayola's
bristle brushes last a long time. I think flats are more versatile than
rounds, but I'm sure others will disagree. A really skinny round works
for tight spots.

I never used a press for lino; spend the $$ on a good kiln. The best
barins I found for block printing were old porcelain door knobs at the
swap meet. The seller took pity on this poor teacher who wanted them
for "the children" and sold them to me half price. I do recommend
getting bench hooks if you're going to do lino; they make carving much
safer.

Maggie