RE: [teacherartexchange] Eeek...more questions

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 17:23:06 PDT

Stacie, Re: clay
I too knew virtually nothing about ceramics when I started teaching. I
would encourage you to purchase some air-dry clay (I like the Amaco brand
that Dick Blick sells) and use that the first year. You just give each
student a portion and guide them thru it learning along with them and then
find a shelf to let them dry. It makes a nice refreshing project for right
after Christmas when the students start those winter blahs and by that time
you will have one semester under your belt. Do something easy like pinch
pots with the younger and animals (without skinny legs) with the older.
Then next summer you can research clay and kilns and perhaps take a class
and then expand your program to include fired clay, glazing etc. This is
what I did and I now do all kinds of clay and all kinds of projects and I
love it and so do the kids.
Cindy