RE: [teacherartexchange] Eeek...more questions

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 15:53:09 PDT

Re: Kiln/brushes/pencils/presses
Kilns need proper installation and ventillation, which might be a
problem...and needs to be researched. Personally if your school will let
you accept donated kilns, I would see if there is someone in your community
that would like to donate one. (we got three more that way...we have 2 in
storage waiting to be used).

As for clay, see if there is a local clay distributer in your area (they
also have classes). Students really do love working in clay and if you can
swing it, they will thank you.

As for pencils, the best advice I read on this list was eBay for bulk
pencils. I teach high school, and I boxes of 4 H's, 2 H's, HB's, 2 B's, 4
B's and 6 B's, and give them out for specific assignments and then collect
them (on the Foundations levels), and just give them to my advanced students
for the whole year. And don't forget ERASERS!

If you are a good disciplinarian, and are able to get kids to clean up
properly, you will be able to 'save' the brushes, otherwise they will end up
going down the drain (my first year teaching, I learned that real fast!).

You don't need a press to do linoleum, brayers work on the back, as well as
wooden spoons.

San D