Re: [teacherartexchange] New teacher here! - print rack

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 11:45:45 PDT

Absolutely, Maggie...good suggestion!!! Stacie, with one of these, you
will certainly use your prints more often...since they'll be so easy to flip
through and find just what you're looking for.

And BTW...talking about prints, the way I used my prints this year worked
really good. I had some table easels...and I used one easel at each
table...actually it was on a small table at the end of each large table.

Each Monday, I put up a new print...a different print for each table, since
I didn't have duplicates. I could always go back and use them at different
tables as the year went on.

On the first day of the week, the students wrote a description, including
all pertinent info about the print, a thumbnail drawing of the print, and a
description of what they actually SAW in the print. We would work on these
the first 15 minutes of class. This was a self-starter...they knew to get
out their composition books and get started.

On the next day, they wrote an analysis...using the elements and principles
of art to talk about the print. They also had about 15 minutes that day,
too.

Then on the third day, they did their interpretation and judgment, which
didn't take too long to write...and after that...we all grouped around each
print...one at a time and the people at that table discussed what they
written that week. Each person at the table had to participate in the
conversation...and then we opened it up to the rest of the students for
questions or comments that they wanted to make. We did this for each
table. You will be amazed at how quickly mine learned to write and talk
about the P&E's.

I taught high school...but this can be done at EVERY grade level to a
certain extent...just work at what that age group is capable of doing. If
everyone did this...think how much all the students would know about art by
the time they finished school.
Carolyn Roberts