Re: [teacherartexchange] drying racks--Stacie

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 11:31:48 PDT

Re: [teacherartexchange] drying racks--StacieStacie...and all other new teachers...
You're just getting so much excellent advice! We love to share...

One problem I experienced with my first drying rack...which was a wire rack...and each rack would lift up. It had some kind of rubber spacers that kept the racks from touching. Well...it didn't take that long for the rubber spacers to wear out and the racks began collapsing on each other. The shop teacher was able to come up with a solution. But I like the racks that are stationary better.

Carolyn

    Hi Stacie,
           Congratulations on your new teaching position!
    If you order drying racks, pay close attention to the size of the openings between the grids of mesh on the shelves. Some of these openings are too large a space to effectively handle smaller pieces of paper, like 9x12, so consequently they fall through and create big problems. I had to go to the hardware store and buy a special mesh fabric to shape and to tie on to each shelf, but that solved the problem. (My principal ordered the rack and I had no say in its design.) Learning to load/unload a drying rack is an art in itself, especially when you have multiple classes of elementary students needing to use it each day!
       Some other items I would recommend: bottle/jar openers, small lightweight ladders, magnetic clips for hanging things on blackboards, good quality scissors, a movie screen!

                               Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                               Art teacher, K-5, retired

    Christine B wrote: I agree with others that said get a drying rack or 2. They are a lifesaver. Mine are two sided and old about 30 pieces of 12/18 paintings on each side.