[teacherartexchange] Ordering supplies, suggestions for a new teacher :)

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 09:52:30 PDT

Hi All, the suggestions to Stacie so far have been great !!!!

I agree with others that said get a drying rack or 2. They are a lifesaver. Mine are two sided and old about 30 pieces of 12/18 paintings on each side.

Big pan tempera sets also are great. Big blocks of color are replaceable, inevitably blue runs out first and all the other colors are still 3/4 full !!!!

I would buy class packs anyway if you can, (colored pencils, brushes. oil pastels)

Markers !!!! Mr. Sketch non scented, 12 packs, (with plastic tray a must ) They have a chisel tip.

From my experience, in elementary I would have to say Mr.
Sketch(unscented, regular, non washable ones). I have used this brand for the past 12 years. I like the
color assortment. But I do wish that they would make a gray !! Plus if a
kid snatches one, easier to tell they're mine (most kids don't buy Mr.
Sketch, but they do have Crayolas in their desks !)
Mr. Sketch are long lasting, and I LOVE the white plastic tray you get in
the box when you order from a school supplier !!!! Keeps them organized.
I also use the Mr. Sketch "Fiddlesticks" thin marker class pack. a great
deal and last for 2 school years.You have to teach them that skinny
markers are for small things and thin lines only. Fat markers for big
areas like skies.
Fiddlesticks class pack unscented (Mr. sketch skinny markers, 12 colors)

Crayola flat pack 24 ct crayons. great basic colors !
Then at back to school time check the sale ads and buy the Crayola flip top boxes at your local Target, Staples, etc. Every year someone has them for 33 cents. I stock up !!!!!!! then refill my flat packs.

will type more later,
hope this helps,
Christine Besack :)