Re: [teacherartexchange] New teacher here!

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 09:26:02 PDT

Stacie,
You've already received a lot of good advice. Woody mentioned
Wal-Mart's deals; Target also sells Crayola products at a deep discount
(76 cents for 10 markers here in Tucson). I put basic supplies in a
plastic lidded box for each table to share. Each table is named after a
different artist so they use the corresponding box. They then have a
vested interest in keeping the box organized and complete. Many
supplies can be shared, like markers, pastels, pencil sharpeners, glue,
scissors, India ink bottles. Order plenty of extras in case of new
students, loss, theft. Many of us number items like brushes, palette
knives, or palettes so the students use the same one each day; they take
MUCH better care of things they know they will use the next day. I
agree with Betsy about not ordering class packs.

Pick out some basic lessons like painting, ceramics, or drawing and
mentally run through how you will set up and distribute supplies, which
supplies students can share and which they will need for themselves, how
things like wet paintings or clay projects will be put away. I know
it's hard without seeing the classroom but you can at least get an
idea. Last year I ordered plastic, lidded palettes that were big enough
for two students to share. Since I had ordered 30 of them, two classes
could do painting at the same time. We saved a tremendous amount of
time and paint not having to clean them each day. Several people
recommended buying poster sets. Be sure to get a good poster rack so
you flip through quickly to find the one you want.

And by the way...with all the responses you're getting, it's really not
necessary to thank each person individually. It gets overwhelming after
a while. I'm sure we'll all be eager to hear about your adventure
setting up a new room in a new school. Then YOU'LL have plenty of
advice to share!

Maggie