Re: [teacherartexchange] Taxes

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 08:52:29 PDT

I have had a tax preparer for about 20 years. He knows a lot about the
kinds of deductions teachers can take (he has many teacher clients).

Conference travel expenses (transportation, meals, lodging,
registration, etc.), professional memberships, supplies (both for
classroom and work-related), copy expenses, classes you take for
professional growth--and related travel--are all lumped together on
Schedule A. He includes a separate statement of the breakdown. I have
written off my computer, printer, ink cartridges, and professional
software as professional expenses as well. Job interview expenses are
deductable if you have to travel X miles from home (I don't remember the
number). Moving expenses are deductable if you are relocating for a
job (NOT moving first, then looking for a job); I don't know how it
would work if you're married. Dave always urges me to arrange a job
interview when I travel, including overseas, so I can deduct it. I
won't do that as I don't want to waste another busy professional's
time. I have, however, written off expenses for trips to Turkey and
Ecuador as I was taking professional-growth classes and using the
experiences for writing papers. Check out University of the Pacific and
UC Santa Barbara (these are real, brick-and-mortar universities; the
classes, however, were through their distance-learning programs).

I save EVERY receipt, even for a cup of coffee at the conference or a
package of push pins. Dave has trained me well; the first couple of
years I was shocked at how much I was spending in small amounts. My
filing system is a file folder into which every receipt gets dropped.
Every January I sort them out, write the amounts on a piece of notebook
paper by category, total them, and hand that to him with the W2.

Hope this is useful.

Maggie