Re: [teacherartexchange] New teacher here!

---------

From: Lydia Horvath (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 17:14:47 PDT

Hi, Stacie!
I teach 7-12 art at an Ohio charter school - I've been here since it opened almost 6 years ago. I remember it being both exciting and scary to start something "brand new"! This group has helped me greatly all along, even though I've mostly been a "lurker".
As far as supplies go, I would say definitely invest in one of the steel, spring-loaded drying racks if you can - my student teaching placement had one, and it was great! However, when I opened my art room, I chose a printing press as my "big ticket" purchase, and have always used the old typeset racks that were left in our building (old vocational high school), retrofitted with pull-out shelves.
Good luck - have fun creating something new!
-Lydia Horvath in Toledo
ps a website called Artsonia (www.artsonia.com) is a neat way to get student art published on the internet without having to create/maintain your own website. Also, kids can order stuff with their art on it, and your art dpt. gets a little cut! If you want, you can see my students' work under Alliance Academy of Toledo.