[teacherartexchange] Art Modules and Visual/Media Literacy

---------

From: Y.R. Brown (yrbrownarted_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 13:54:16 PDT

Dear Colleagues,

I am considering using an art modules approach to a
high school Graphics and Art Foundations Course. As I
understand the concept, students move from one art
project area to the next, exploring a variety of
media, production techniques, art history, etc.

I think I may start with three or four modules for the
first term. I am thinking that the small groups and
the possibility of more in-depth work by the students
is attractive and could diminish some off task
behavior.

If anyone on the list has experience working with this
approach please post me here or off list, especially
if this subject has come on list
before. Please share the pros or cons, module ideas(
projects), personal triumphs and challenges.

I will be teaching visual/media literacy in the Art
Foundations and/or Graphics classes next year. I've
taught elements of the subjects at the post-secondary
level working with first year English students and
students in a Women's Studies course.

At this writing the facilitation of the course
material will not be terribly different than that at
the post secondary level, but high school is a
different animal indeed.

At any rate is there anyone on the list that has
taught visual/media literacy concepts in the high
school or post secondary art class? I am in search of
 eadings,lessons/projects and syllabi that would be
appropriate for the high school art class and student
learner. Pleas post me on
or off list, off list if this subject has been covered
on list. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Y.R. Brown