Re: [teacherartexchange] New teacher here!

---------

staciemich_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 10:22:16 PDT

This is very helpful. Thanks so much!

Stacie (Miami)

-----Original Message-----
From: M.Austin <whest177@wheatstate.com>
To: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group <teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu>
Sent: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:06:23 -0500
Subject: Re: RE:[teacherartexchange] New teacher here!

This will be the easiest year for you to purchase supplies, as schools tend to be more supportive of new teachers and new programs. What I do every year is go page by page through each catalog, writing down what supplies I want. When I start working within my budget I start chopping my "wants" until I have hit my budget. I ordered 30 watercolor trays, 30 oil pastel sets (I love the Crayola oil pastels - nice and thick and take alot of abuse), etc. My average class size is 24, with some years jumping to 28, so 30 gives me an extra or two. I love the Prang "Biggie" tempera cakes for ease of use, and cleanup, and the ability to purchase replacement cakes easily. I use these more than the watercolors, teaching my students to monitor their water usage for values. Order LOTS of colored paper - the colors I use the most are blue and black. Don't forget to purchase stuff like wiggly eyes, feathers, pompons, pipe cleaners, etc. Even if you don't have an immediate use for these you will discover a project mid-year whe
re you will want these. Don't forget to order instuctional books, reproductions, check to see how you will access overhead projectors, etc, purchase a CD player now, and some CD's (Sax carries a nice starter selection). I like SAX True Colors liquid tempera, as well as the new Crayola II temperas. Order nice scissors now, and label them immediately!!! Paintbrushes are a must - for the little ones I like the chubby brushes, older kids I like the Crayola sets. Don't forget to stock your desk - my district expects you to purchase pens, paper clips, tape, etc. from your budget. Don't try to skimp on supplies - they will set your future budget by what you order now. :-)

>>Hi, I just signed up here. I have just been hired for my first teaching >>job...a K-8 art teacher at a new charter school. Because the school is >>new, and because I have no experience, I could use some help, really any >>advice at all...but right now I'm in the process of creating my supply >>list. I was given a catalog and asked to make a list. Right now, there >>is no equipment, no supplies. I am starting from scratch. It's kind of a >>daunting task. I'm having trouble even picking out paints and papers. If >>any of you have any ideas, favorite brands, equipment and shelving that >>has worked well for you, cheap solutions, things I can't live >>without...I'd love to hear them. Thanks so much in advance!
>>
>>Stacie

---
To unsubscribe go to http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html