Re: RE:[teacherartexchange] New teacher here!

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 10:06:23 PDT

This will be the easiest year for you to purchase supplies, as schools tend
to be more supportive of new teachers and new programs. What I do every year
is go page by page through each catalog, writing down what supplies I want.
When I start working within my budget I start chopping my "wants" until I
have hit my budget. I ordered 30 watercolor trays, 30 oil pastel sets (I
love the Crayola oil pastels - nice and thick and take alot of abuse), etc.
My average class size is 24, with some years jumping to 28, so 30 gives me
an extra or two. I love the Prang "Biggie" tempera cakes for ease of use,
and cleanup, and the ability to purchase replacement cakes easily. I use
these more than the watercolors, teaching my students to monitor their water
usage for values. Order LOTS of colored paper - the colors I use the most
are blue and black. Don't forget to purchase stuff like wiggly eyes,
feathers, pompons, pipe cleaners, etc. Even if you don't have an immediate
use for these you will discover a project mid-year where you will want
these. Don't forget to order instuctional books, reproductions, check to see
how you will access overhead projectors, etc, purchase a CD player now, and
some CD's (Sax carries a nice starter selection). I like SAX True Colors
liquid tempera, as well as the new Crayola II temperas. Order nice scissors
now, and label them immediately!!! Paintbrushes are a must - for the little
ones I like the chubby brushes, older kids I like the Crayola sets. Don't
forget to stock your desk - my district expects you to purchase pens, paper
clips, tape, etc. from your budget. Don't try to skimp on supplies - they
will set your future budget by what you order now. :-)