Re: [teacherartexchange] Ojo de Dios

---------

twoducks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 08:09:48 PDT

Maggie: what a great site! I will use that with my college undergrads next year. In my school the technique of stick weaving is introduced to the first graders. The big ideas attached to the skill are week one: symbolism and week two: variation. I mention the symbolism I have read about in Mexico but invite students to create their _own_ symbolism for their weaving--both for color and for the four points. Many make them about their four best friends, or their family, or sports teams, etc. I find that after that students will mention color symbolism in other sorts of art work. The second week I explain the word variation and challenge them to make a stick weaving unlike anyone elses:more sticks, holes in sticks (use a two hole punch) longer sticks, etc etc. They come up with really interesting stuff that I never thought of. The symbolism is important, as we teach that art is about something other than just being pretty. Variation is important as we teach that each person's art should be unique to them
.
kathy douglas