Re: [teacherartexchange] The Art Education culturally competent art educator ----- Interesting topic of how to be culturally sensitive while teaching art.

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Jun 05 2005 - 12:08:27 PDT

In a message dated 6/4/05 6:16:05 PM, mrsbeeswax@comcast.net writes:

> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3772/is_200107/ai_n8961378

Great article, Christine--important for all to read in my opinion. This topic
reminds me that each group of students is a rich lode of cultural identities,
interests and beliefs. As teachers we can mine that lode first and formost by
teaching students that art is personal, is about ideas, as well as "beauty"
and that artists make art derived from their lives, their passions, their
wishes, beliefs and their experiences. How can our students' ideas come to the
front of our classrooms?
kathy douglas