Re: [teacherartexchange] Fine Art Pins to inspire a lesson

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 15:46:56 PDT

I think this is such a great idea for fund raiser. I have tons and
tons of old magazines available for my students to find images. it
wouldn't be hard to convert to this idea.

I get lots of ideas from Expressions Magaizine
http://www.expressionartmagazine.com/
Expression provides niffty ideas for projects that could develop into
something money making.
Sometime, last year, they had directions for taking old books that
were being discarded and turning them into purses/handbags.

I can't find it on their site. But it was a great "off the curriculum
" time filing activity for me. It's a variation on altered books
The basic idea is

       take a book
       remove all the pages
       make a connection to the book and alter the binding to the
connection
       decorate the binding to the connection
       put in a fabric insert to make it "fold out" like a hand purse
would
       make holes with grommets for some kind of chain.

I wish I could find this on the site. My kids ran with this and created
all kinds of theme purses. And embellished and decorated. My
library is throwing out books all the time. I can't let them go. I
save and save for some kind of purpose.
One of my kids saved all the HUGE reference books the library threw
out.. She is making purses that are selling .
I'll try to find more specific directions for this somewhere in my
files.

The librarian presented this idea to her association and all said
what a wonderful idea to keep a discarded book alive.
What treasures we find in trash