[teacherartexchange] Copyright - for new teachers & new list members

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 06:58:47 PDT

Greetings NEW list members and NEW teachers,

In reference to making color copies/prints for your classroom......

A list member came to me asking about Fair Use Guidelines for
teachers. As all veteran teachers know, the guidelines are not etched
in stone. They were set up by a group of librarians who really do not
know or understand our needs (wouldn't some of you agree?).

I have posted lots of stuff of interest on the Yahoo lists... and
won't rehash that.
Today I discovered the Getty archives for April and May are back on
line and I found this link I posted.... with way more than you need
for Fair Use:
David Dillard compiled all of this for Net Gold list - archives open
to the public.

This new teacher said the was a topic that was NOT discussed much in
her teacher training. Why not present the idea to your administrator
to have a professional development session dealing with this topic?
The tech person, librarian and maybe a community lawyer (who will
volunteer?) can present a condensed version of all of the info then
field questions. I know my former school "encouraged" copyright
violations (in many cases - long story)... Don't know what the
policies are now.

Cases of individual teachers being challenged are quiet rare.... but
it is at least a good idea to model correct behavior with your
students. Last year, a list member said STUDENTS reported their
teacher(s) who were in violation of copyright law. I don't know what
became of those cases.

Copyright laws have not changed much -- it is just that we are more
aware of them now with all of this information available to us on the
Internet. Just LOL - I wrote a site about copyright for permission to
use some of their text about copyright... I never did hear back from
them (chuckles). Someday - I will write a page.....I just got bored
with the topic.

If your own district's policy is so rigid that they will not allow
color photocopies to be displayed (some will not allow it) - then I
hope they provide adequate funds for you to purchase visual resources.

Regards,

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department