Historical Collage Peace Symbols -Lesson idea - elementary

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 15:20:37 PDT

(Kathleen - just letting you know I am passing this on)

Greetings Art Educators,

Kathleen - a new art teacher- shared an idea with Art Education list that I
thought I would pass on.
Maybe some of you have lesson ideas to add for Art about Peace?

From Kathleen Arola

Historical Collage Peace Symbols

I've done this one for fifth grade social studies for a couple of
years, but it could be modified for various age levels.

Start with a large photocopy of a peace symbol. It should be drawn
in thick (1/2" or 1") black marker so it'll stand out. Then I had
some discarded social studies books (5th grade social studies is US
history). Students collaged various elements from the books inside
of their peace symbols. They cut out photographs, artwork, maps,
headlines, text, charts, artifacts, musical notes and lyrics,
timelines and whatever else they liked.

A variation would be to cut large peace symbol shapes out of
construction paper, then place them over the collages to have neat
edges. I also had students fill in white spaces with red and blue
colored areas or patterns to complete the look. Then we cut out the
peace symbols and mounted them on red and blue construction paper
and laminated the entire projects. Some students even did fancy
backgrounds for mounting, such as a construction paper flag with the
peace symbol placed in the middle of the stripes.

Two teaching aspects to be aware of -

1. Students need to be reminded which direction the peace symbol
goes (and do they want their collage to be oriented in that
direction, or images pasted in all directions).

2. Students need to know that it's okay to cut images to fit the
peace symbol spaces, and that most likely they won't find images
that fit exactly, so to work on collage techniques.

Eventually - I will get this idea added to an Art about Peace section -- for
now enjoy!
A variation of this would be one large group project for your classroom - a
huge Peace sign.... with images "What Peace Means to Me" filling in the
peace sign.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/