RE: Jan - American Folk Art - Underground Railroad "Myth"

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 13:34:09 PDT

Yes, quilts and quilt blocks do have names . I did see the "controversial" included in the lesson plan. Last year, I purchased the book Hidden in Plain View and had planned to read it, only to find out that it was an elaborate hoax in order to highlight some of the quiltmakers featured in the book. A teacher (classroom - not art) I know had loosely planned her whole year based on quilts and this book and the history that it supposedly conveyed. Guess she backed off on the history aspect. What a dissappointment to both her and me (not to mention lots of other folks). It might be an interesting way to teach symbolism, tho. Not using the book as fact, but using the ideas, as artists do, to communicate a message in more than one way.
Jan