Jan - American Folk Art - Underground Railroad "Myth"

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 06:25:40 PDT

Greetings Jan,

I did add to Kelli's plan "controversy" - and will update her plan after I
talk with her more about it....but you are right. Quilts as signs in the
Underground Railroad is fiction....at least that is what current research
shows. I try not to change lesson plans when I share them first...I do go
back in and add "Judy-isms" after they are shared "as is".

I told Kelli someone would bring this up so she would be prepared.

The names of the quilts are real though... I will double check to be
certain - but they did look right to me. The traditional patterns DO have
names. I just have not had time to go back and find all of my resources on
this topic. Yahoo wiped out all of my links when they closed my jdeckeriad
address.

Kelli's lesson:
> Print - Quilt Design Lesson:
> http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Kelli-lino.htm

Judy Decker

On 6/30/2004 9:11:32 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk (artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu)
wrote:
> Judy and Kelli and all,
> I remember reading recently that the Underground Railroad quilt connection
> was a scam.
> Did we discuss that on this listserv? If not, perhaps I'll seek that info
out.
> Jan
>
> Kelli Wilkie sent me her American Folk Art Reduction
>
> She also included scanned in handouts - that re-did
> for the site as the file was too big.
> http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/m

---