Jewelry-making books

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 11:17:39 PDT

Dear friends,

I have been making Indian looms this week as part of a lesson plan for a
Special Education class. It is very easy to make an Indian bead loom. I
used 3 1/2 inch pine planks, cut to 15 inch lengths. Plus 1 1/2 inch by 1
1/2 inch poles cut to 3 1/2 inch lengths. That's so there are two blocks on
either end of the plank. This raises the work so you can put your hand
under it. Then staple-gun a spring on each block. You can get these in the
hardware store (I got mine in Home Depot) This is so you can keep the
beading strings separated. Then put a thumbtack at either end, to attach
the warp threads to. So you see, it's really low cost, unless you count the
cost of the electric table saw.

This is a very primitive bead loom. It does not even have the dowel stick
that enables you to roll the work up as you go along. But you can also
attach two of those on each loom, if you want! Just look at one of the
commercially available looms and you will see how to do it.

I made myself a bracelet with some nice large glass beads from Dick Blick. I
also have a large bottle of plastic beads from Ikea and some nylon fishing
thread, so I don't even need a needle. Now I am considering whether to make
12 looms for the people in my class, even thouigh we don't really have time
to make a whole bracelet. But they could have a souvenir to take home with
them, in case they needed something to do when they were sick in bed, like
you, Anne! I hope you are feeling better now.

Thanks to Jan and Gelato for the book recommendations. I have ordered the
one you recommended and I'm looking forward to working on the projects you
suggest.

Jean

---