RE: Jewelry Making Books (Jan and Gelato)

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 06:24:25 PDT

Anne,
Wow - what fun! I Love, Love, Love beads! Not the single strand stuff that is so popular now, but the weaving.
Somewhere in my stacks of old magazines I have instructions for doing loomed beadwork with kids. The project used a box - I'm remembering pizza box. I will look for that for you. Anyway, for starters, you might pick up a bead magazine - I subscribe to Beadwork - www.interweave.com - and try some stuff there. The current issue has quite a range of ideas to try. Generally they look fairly easy.
    In every issue of the magazine (p 8, June July 2004), there is a general list of techniques. They do not show loom weaving, however. They do show other methods of beading, not using a loom, but building on previous rows of beadwork. If you try these techniques, be forewarned that the first couple rows are the most difficult. When you buy beads, the cheapest beads will work, but they are not sized regularly. This means that your beadwork will not be exactly even from row to row. Not a problem, particularly, unless you want to do a large work and it must be even. Then I'd advise seeking out Delicas or Miyukis as they are more regularlly sized (but more expensive). Oh, there's so much more.

The books I have are pretty old - my 2 favs are Those Bad, Bad Beads, by Virginia Blakelock, and New Beadwork by Moss and Scherer. The latter is a book of arty stuff - not techniques. Blakelock primarily creates peices on the loom, so you might want to look at her book, too. SInce these are pretty old, perhaps the best for you would be to simply go to your favorite bookstore and see what they have, both in the book section, but also the Beading magazine section. Currently there are about 4 or 5 magazines devoted exclusively to beading. Also, you might try online - I have lots of sites. Try www.bead-patterns.com to start with.

I could go on and on, but won't. If you want more info, feel free to email me personally! When I taught HS - 20 yrs ago, I did beadwork with the kids and they loved it!

Jan