Re: mat cutters -J and all

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 07:50:11 PDT

Hello J,

Gosh - I am breaking my "new rule" just for you today
(grin).

Mat cutters is a sore spot with me.... I always got my
reuqst for a good mat cutter denied. I had my trusty
old Dexter for about thirty years. They still make
them - same model (see Sax page 198 - it sells for
$22.75 now). It does a decent job if you have a good
metal straight edge. I had trouble doing bevel cuts,
though.

Before you buy....Talk to area framers and see what
company they might recommend. I got to be "friends"
with a framer years ago and she recommended Fletcher
over Logan (too long ago for me to remember why). THEN
decide how much money you have to spend for a good
system. She definitely had far more praise for
Fletcher's affordable model over Logan's. Sax has mat
cutters on pages 196 and 197.

NEXT talk to Sax - See which models are most popular
with teachers. If you are paying for this yourself -
order the top two on your credit card and try them
both - then return the one you don't want. If you are
using school money - Order the top one - try it out.
If it doesn' work for you return it and
upgrade/exchange to another one. You may have to pay
the difference yourself....but it is important for you
to be happy with your mat cutter.

I did have perfect mats for all of the best work in
our art shows. How did I do that? I cut the outside
dimensions - marked all of the measurements and gave
them to a local framer in the school district to cut
them for me. I refused to buy the mat cutter myself...
but certainly did enjoy giving the framer my business.
He still gives me good deals when I pop in. He does
miss my yearly visits now with my stacks of mats to
cut (He charged me a small fee per opening). Over the
years, I probably paid the price of that good mat
cutter (a couple times over)- but I don't care.

>> I'm so old

Me too (LOL)... Now how much longer will you need a
mat cutter? Is this for personal use? or only for
school use? If I also made art to sell, I probably
would have bought the mat cutter myself. My girl
friend has a professinal mat cutter (Maybe
Logan's?)and a couple times I drove to Findlay Ohio to
use hers...made for a nice day visiting.

Cheers!

Judy Decker