RE: Best Staff Development

---------

From: Leslie Miller (lamiller3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 06:38:25 PDT

The art teachers in Framingham became disgusted with useless staff
development. We were required to go to our mass development days, town wide
or school based. The leaders said, they didn't know how this would apply to
us, but hardly ever had anything that did. We got together and planned out a
series of our own development days. We first had to stay in town because the
administration said that the other staff would be angry if we went somewhere
else. So.... we ran whole department workshops for ourselves, got a grant
and had in a few other artists, like bookmakers and educators from other
towns, and a trip to the local museum, and a full day at our Garden in the
Woods with a naturalist artist. Then we planned a trip to the Museum of
Fine Arts, in Boston, The Fogg, Semetic, and Peabody Museums at Harvard.
These were approved by our administration. We had to withstand the
jealously of the other staff, but we had good in services, that did not
waste our time, and resulted in field trips and new work for our students.
This year they are planning the same sort of in services, and hope to have
them approved. As a retiree, this year I'll have little to do with this
town that treats teachers so horribly, but I will join the art department at
these in services, if I'm free.

Now to two commissions, both due next week.

Have a wonderful summer, everyone. If you're up this way, give a hollar.
I'll be in Maine 18 July though the 3rd of August, but otherwise in the
Boston area.

Les in Framingham, MA

---