High School Lessons - Social Comment - Artist's UnBirthday

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 19:08:01 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Sara Gant has shared three files with Incredible Art Department (shoes
coming). Sara had GREAT success using the Artists UnBirthday idea
posted by Christa Wise:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/SaraUnbirthday.htm
Pardon the list of names out of order at the bottom - I will fix that... But
I assumed all of you will select your own list.

Here is what Sara had to say:
It was very successful! Kids brought cake and chips and soda- high school
kids now!- they were getting into it. The students had to present their
presents, and there were some funny ones, well-researched ones, attractive
and not so attractive ones. (Examples include mustache trimmers for Dali, a
fake bottle of Prozac for Munch, etc!) Included is the handout I gave the
kids- lesson, objectives, rubric, and list of artists.

Here is the link to Christa Wise' idea:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/arthistory.htm

Sara also sent a file for Social Comment:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/social.htm
Here is what Sara had to say about this unit:
This has been a popular lesson this past year with Art I's. We have had
everything from anti-abortion posters to anti-landmine and homelessness and
"honor our vets" artwork. Who says kids don't care about anything? I was
actually at a conference and overheard someone say "Well, you know
teenagers, they don't care about anything except what goes on in their
little world." I was so outraged I challenged my kids. I told them I knew
they cared about their world and what goes on in it. This is not an
official-type lesson, but my informally written handout.

The social comment file will not remain online forever - unless Sara has
some sample work.... Unbirthday will stay linked to High School lesson plans
and the Fun Ways to Teach Art History file.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
Incredible Art Resources