Re: Working with multihandicapped - Donna and all

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 15:01:38 PDT

I listened to this book on tape with a reader with an English accent. I
loved it. I agree--it's very interesting to see how he thinks about
everything--and it all makes so much sense--all his wierdness and
misbehavior. It made me wonder about some of my students--not being
autistic but just having such a different viewpoint. Sid

>>> lindwood@webtv.net 06/23/2004 3:45:43 PM >>>
I am just starting to read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the
Night
Time," by Mark Haddon. It's a novel. He used to work with autistic
kids. It hooks you from the first sentence. It's written from the
point of view of an autistic boy who is telling the story the way that
he thinks. I used to work with autistic kids a long time ago, but not
with art. I was working as an aid in a school to learn more about
them.
Back in those days I thought I might major in psychology. I would
love
to hear what professionals in the field of psychology think of this
book. Whether it is realistic or not, it sure is intersting and it
SEEMS realistic to me so far. The boy in this book is pretty
functional, though. But you get a good idea of the differences in
communication that occur between autistics and "normal" people. Very
interesting.

Linda Woods

Visit our student's web art gallery at St.John's School

www.sjs.org
 click on "Stories of SJS," click on "Arts Stories," click on Linda
Woods' name. View artwork by Lower, and Middle School students as
well
as our art archives.

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu