Re: kim's studio

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 04:59:09 PDT

Kim...your project sounds very exciting. These tips are just my opinion and no expert advice.

For the flooring, I would not recommend cement. It's not that easy to keep clean and bad to stand on. I have two class rooms and one has cement. It always looks so nasty and yucky! It is very hard to clean and we have no way to hose it down.

I have tile in the other class room and this one is so easy to sweep and quickly mop when we need to.

Also, I would not recommend any flooring with grooves or raised areas that might catch the paint or dirt easily to make it hard to keep clean.

Also, in my opinion, for a studio I like to see white walls, white ceiling and light colored flooring. I know that's boring to some people (not me)....but colors in a studio tend to change the colors in any artwork that one does. My studios are one room that I like to keep very light.

As far as lighting goes, I would recommend a lot of it. I have only had flourescent...so can't give any recommendations as to the type. You might check with a "lighting company or expert" and ask questions about what would provide the most natural lighting. There's so much new stuff out nowadays. I have really learned a lot just watching some of these decorating programs.

I'm sure these suggestions are not going to be what the organizer wants to do...because they always want to add color to the rooms they do.

Carolyn

  hi all! I meet with the organizer for the first time tomorrow morning. I had to laugh at the "just sit back and enjoy..", actually i do most of the work. we are hiring a guy to sheetrock, and yes, we pay! , but the majority will be done by me... it takes one month... i even have to pay the organizer $2000, but it shoudl be worth it. i'll get product donated and it will be done!!!!! I need help in deciding what type of lights to install. Any suggestions? I heard built in lighting... but what kind??what about flouresent? the full spectrum light? i'm taking all your suggestions to the designer! thanks! it will probably be aired in the fall. we finish taping July 27th and we leave for Japan the next morning!!! eeeckkk, talk about stress! thanks for all the suggestions... i am mainly interested in watercolor but my daughter will use the studio to do her very large pastel protraits. i teach all mediums except clay in there. so, you all think concrete floors? hard to stand on isn't it? what about that new fake wood flooring ? do tell, keep it coming, i only have one week to go!!!! thanks, kim

  ---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---