Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Ceramics Video for Middle School-High School

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 11:38:19 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I previewed the video "Clay Figures, Animals and Landscapes" from Crystal
Productions - featuring contemporary ceramic artists.
It is one of the videos you can get for free from Art Video
World when you buy three (division of Crystal Productions).
Those of you in the planning stages for high school ceramics may want to
get it to help design your program. I can see several project ideas coming
from the section on landscapes (first part of video) - These
are functional ceramics and sculptural pieces (or both) by Wayne Higby (not
much online - Google images search is your best choice for images).
Info on Higby:
Nice mix of organic - traditional and geometric form in clay - Mainly
Handbuilt (some wheel thrown bowls).

The animals section is mainly the work of David Chihooly
It is fun-whimsical. Good for a unit on Humor in Art. I didn't see the
images from the video on his site - but most of them were beavers and frogs.

The figures section could generate many projects - from portrait busts to
abstract busts - to realistic figures and abstract figures. Viola Frey,
Robert Arneson and Jack Earl are featured there (among others).
Frey's works are life size/larger than life figures
Arneson's work are mainly his portrait busts - with a humorous twist.
Jack Earl is from Ohio - many "tongue in cheek" works - social commentary.
Busts and figures are meshed together into the last segment. One ceramic
artist created large coil method busts... I don't recall his name (I had
his work before - and had some laminated pictures from magazines of his

The video is 20 minutes long. Middle school teachers may want to use
sections of it for your units - while an entire high school ceramics
curriculum could be designed around it. I always began my beginning ceramics
with organic form - coil vessels which often turned into landscape vessels.

See page 16 - #8743 - $39.95 (call 1-800-644-3429 to get your Art Video
World catalog). This video is listed on High School Ceramics - under
resources at bottom:
Many of the ceramic videos on pages 16 and 17 can be selected as free
videos (buy three - get one free)

Post reviews of videos you preview this summer.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources