Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

South African Printmaker

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 09:13:39 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Many of you teach relief printmaking to your students.
I would like to introduce you to the prints of Azaria
Most of these are lino cuts I gather from info I found
elsewhere. This page has some nice images, too:
I don't like calling them "primitivism" though.

I have added a link to:

Tracey - Getty list member working in South Africa -
introduced me to him:

"Some news on my daughter. She is doing her masters at
the moment on an artist called Azaria Mbatha. He is
from here but living in Sweden at the moment. Leigh
applied for an exchange student grant and will be
spending 5 months at the University of Gavle in
Sweden. During that period she will be able to
interview Azaria Mbatha."

I have found some wonderful relief prints from South
Africa over that past year (and posted links to the
list). I am hopeful someone out there will do
a unit....Let me know.

Judy Decker

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department