Re: End of Darkroom

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 21:04:43 PDT

Deb M. wrote:

> Another issue is the archival quality of the medium. I was just in the
> darkroom a couple of weeks ago printing the b/w negs from my
> grandparents wedding in the 1920s. Also have a big collection of the
> 4x5 glass negs. How long will a disk or CD last?? Doubt it will be for
> generations to find and enjoy like we do now...

I'm in complete agreement with Deb. A friend who's a museum archivist
was shocked about 15 years ago at a workshop for preserving digital
media (mainly videos). At the time, many people were putting their old
Super 8 movies and vacation slides on video, thinking they'd have them
forever. Wrong...unless they were being stored under ideal condition,
the tapes were degrading after less than 10 years. I'll have to ask
her what she knows about CDs and the like.

Digital certainly has its uses and good points, but I shudder to think
about people putting their trust in digital media for their most
precious memories; I've never been convinced that the inks and papers
used for digital prints have the permanence of film.

I love film photography and hope it never goes away.

Maggie

---